Friday, December 14, 2007

Newborn King


This painting is called "Newborn King".  It's a different viewpoint of the nativity scene.  In this painting we are viewing the Madonna & Child from above - just as the angels must have done.  This young lady that modeled for Mary is someone I met in a hospital gift shop.  The moment I saw her I knew that I needed to use her as a model for Mary.  She had such a beautiful and natural innocent beauty about her.  Her hair was naturally and loosely curled around her young face and she was still in her teens.  When I approached her about modeling I said something like:  "Would you be willing to come and pose for a painting for me.....  Don't get the wrong idea, you will be fully clothed and you can bring your mother".  My wife and daughter was with me and a bit embarassed I think.  :-)  But, I think you'll agree that it was worth it.  She was wonderful.  With the baby I wanted him to be looking at us to connect us with Him.  I loved the way her white shawl fell and draped around her.  I thought that it brought in a kind of "heavenly quality" to the painting and was indeed a sort of symbolic halo around the sacred scene that I was trying to represent.  Newborn King.  I hope you enjoy it.

No comments: